Thursday, July 10, 2008

GIMME SHELTER


I can tell my new friend Lucy Liu and I will be great friends. We have so much in common. For instance, she mentioned she'd been a stray once. Oh my god, me too!

But I never lived in a shelter. I was plucked off the street as a baby by my first owner. Casey, however, did spend some time locked up - at the North Shore Animal League in Port Washington, N.Y. He doesn't remember anything about it, though, because mom sprung him when he was just 9 weeks old.

Mom says he was a tiny thing, just all ears and mouth. (That last bit hasn't changed. He's sooo noisy it's like shut up already.) 'Course by the time I met him years later, he was huge. Everyone called him Gordiflón.

He's still a big boy, but, like me, he's also slimmed down with age. Sure can't say that about the humans in this household! (Watch it, missy! - Ed.) See how little I look in comparison. Positively petite. A wisp of a girl ... who doesn't need stretchy pants. Hee. 

Casey may be big, but smart? I just about missed the litterbox when Lucy Liu said he looked "highly intelligent." Oh, girlfriend, the stories I could tell you!

Anyway, her letter got me thinking maybe some of you are unfamiliar with palmetto bugs. That's a shame, but I'm sure West Virginia offers great feline entertainment, too. Click here to see a good specimen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Lucy Liu!
My mommy just read to me about you also getting lost and that Casey was adopted from a shelter too. You both are very lucky to have such a wonderful mommy and daddy that loves you so much.
My mommy, PO, Sophie and I laughed so hard when you said that you just about about fell off your litter box when I made the comment about Casey being smart! That's what I call really good kitty humor!
Also, my Mommy thought the Palmetto bug was totally ugly! She went eek! I, on the other hand, thought that bug was kinda unique with all those things sticking out..antennas and legs, oh my!
It was great hearing from you Tazzie. Got to get back to my cozy chair in the living room!

Lucy Liu

Tazzie said...

Hiya, Lucy Liu.

Yeah, the bugs are way cool - I forgot to mention they even fly! And while I've got excellent paw-eye coordination, if I don't say so myself, their size - sometimes as long as a half-eaten Tofurky sausage - makes 'em hard to miss.

BTW, what a great yard you have! And stay on your dog family's good side. Remember, they're loaded! ;-)